Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Student's Choice - A Big Success!

What a fantastic night! I could feel the nerves of the student performers as they arrived at the studio to do their run throughs and I was trying to be calm in speaking with them....I remember only too well the first time performance excitement that makes you feel like you can't remember one bit of your choreography. I was so impressed with everyone's costuming, hair and make-up. It just showed how serious everyone had taken the challenge. From where I was sitting I could also hear the audience whispering about the performances, saying how impressed they were with the variety of genres that were performed. The audience got a fun night of entertainment and creativity. I for one felt really inspired and proud as a teacher to keep giving students more and more training and dance ammunition to get out there again next year! Plus we raised over $300 for the Oakville Humane Society and I'm donating an additional $5 per performer to the fund.
So please, if you were a performer or an audience member, please share with us your experience about our first Student's Choice Awards - write something here on our blog. We're all really interested on what the experience was like for you. What was it was like to put your choreography together then perform it? What did you get out of the experience? We all want to know.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

What an amazing night it was. The nervous twittering, costume adjustments –is my lipstick on straight-was all worth it and for a great cause too! For a lot of the ladies who were performing for the first time - great job! It is always hardest to perform in front of family members, because you have to go home with them. My Mom was in the audience and she called me the next day to say how much she enjoyed the show. The colourful costumes, the different styles of dance and music. It was a good way to showcase the many forms that fall under the belly dance umbrella. Great fun had by all!
Sherry

Joharah said...

Thanks Sherry. I tell ya I had tears in my eyes when you and Kellie do that turn together. There's something about that that is so beautiful and powerful...like real friendship and respect. Loved it.

Unknown said...

Wow!!! I was blown away by the creativity of the choreography. I was impressed by how professional they all seemed. It was extremely difficult to judge and rate the dancers because you were all so good! Belly Up is a special studio and has the most gorgeous and fun group of ladies in belly dancing this side of the world! Thanks to everyone for working so hard and giving us such a great evening!

Joharah said...

Hey Kyle,
Thank you so very much for your comments. We're really proud of the community of dancer's we're building at BellyUp! They love what they do and it shows and that's what it's all about. Thank you for your support and hope you'll be with us next year to do it all over again.

Infojunkie1975 said...

I'm really glad I did this. Performing, even speaking in front of a group has always been difficult for. Believe it or not I was that really shy, quiet kid at the back of the class, and doing this was scary but the more I put myself out there...the less scary it gets. I think I've been bitten by the choreo bug.
Thanks for the amazing oppurtunity

Patti