Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Marlee's Journey in Bellydance

Belly dancing has become my identity. It's my creative outlet, my life's passion. And, as with any passion, mine as been kept alive through new challenges, the quest for self improvement, and inspiration from my teacher and fellow dancers. When I joined Bellyup I was not a total beginner. I had had some experience in my twenties and again in my mid-fifties. But, when I reflect on what has transpired in the past three years, I am in awe! Back then I was really feeling the limits of my age. I was afraid to over-exert myself in case of injury. I thought my back was too fragile to handle deep hip circles. Three-point turns terrified me, and "cute" or "sexy" moves made me feel as if I looked ridiculous! Over time, with Joharah's encouragement and my own determination, I have become the dancer that never in a million years I imagined I could be! And it's not about the quality or calibre of my dancing --- it's all about the growth and improvement. It's been gradual and subtle, but the improvement is what continues to amaze me. I'm no longer fearful of new challenges that seem beyond my capabilities. I'm even starting to "let loose" on the dancefloor! Dancing is what keeps my spirit alive. Attending classes, and practicing and performing with my equally passionate dance "sisters" has enriched my life beyond words. Turn the music on and the smile on my face says it all! Marlee

No comments: