Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Some bellydance moves...love'em or hate'em?

We had such a fun class tonight. During the class students started talking about some moves they don't like because they don't fully understand how to perform them. These are moves the love on other people, but they just don't feel as though they are able to do them correctly. I told the class about one of the moves I disliked as a beginner but now love. The Camel backwalk! I felt like an elephant when I did it...clearly I wasn't doing it the way the Egyptian dancers intended! But once I worked on my pelvic undulation, and the weight shift for toe to heel as you walk backward, the move came more naturally. Everyone ended up offering up a move they were having trouble with and voila...we had a productive class helping everyone learn to love the moves they may have disliked. Now with a better understanding of them ... they look good and feel good. We worked on Liz's Arabesque, on Glenda's down step with shimmy, Trish's cross and touch back walk with snake arms and Pearl's soft, slow shimmmy. I came home sore from all the drillin' and hit the Advil! My abs got a good workout too...must have been all the undulations ... or could it have been the belly laughs?

No comments: