Sunday, February 22, 2009

BellyUp students weigh in! Read why they dance.

The inspiration just keeps pouring in from BellyUp students of various ages and experience and I really hope you can take a few minutes to read the wonderful insights our students are sharing about their bellydance experience at BellyUp. The benefits of bellydance are so far reaching and it only takes reading a few of these great stories to see how much we grow as individuals from this powerful dance form. Thank you again to everyone who has shared so far and please feel free to send me your story or add your comments to the blog. Veronica’s Story When I tentatively signed up for level 1 belly dance at Belly Up Studio last Fall, little did I know that my quest for a little bit of fun exercise would lead me to a wonderful studio filled with warm and supportive people and a new found passion for an art form that until I came to Belly Up, I knew very little about. Joharah and the rest of the instructors at Belly Up are not only talented dancers, but they also make everyone feel welcome and I like that there is an emphasis on learning about the culture and music behind belly dance instead of just learning the moves. With movie nights and plenty of opportunities to learn through workshops and classes, I think I’ve found a great place to spend hours working on shimmies and hip drops! I never get tired of walking into Belly Up and seeing the purple walls, colourful cushions and peacock feathers. I love it!! Veronica Stoneman. Krista’s Story For the last 10 years I have had chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis which has greatly defined my physical capabilities and activities. I started taking bellydance classes because I love dance and thought it would be a great form of “fun” exercise. The fun factor has been huge, but to my surprise the classes are also incredibly therapeutic. It's been 2 years now and the impact to my life and well being in general has been dramatic. Not only have I never been so ‘sparkly’ in my life, the low impact movements are great on my joints! I am much stronger, more flexible and my posture has also greatly improved. The studio itself has become much more than just a place to dance. It's an incredibly vibrant and supportive environment that fosters a sense of community by embracing all women. I'm often asked what my secret has been to keeping fit and mobile. I simply tell them - "go to Belly Up!" Thanks Joharah! Sincerely, Krista Rowan aka Aliyah. Marlee’s Story I am delighted to say that dancing as a "senior" student at BellyUp has rekindled the passion I felt when I was a "bellydancer" in my mid- twenties....over thirty years ago! With Joharah's superb teaching skills, encouragement, and high expectations, I am gradually regaining the confidence, flexibility and joy of my youth. Marlee Lamothe. Lucy’s Story When I started classes at Belly Up I had the grace of a penguin. Now after 8 months, I’ve learned a lot of moves and have started to perfect some of the more graceful aspects of the art. One new member even said to me recently “how long have you been doing this because you’re very good”. From penguin to poised in less than a year! It’s a great feeling! In fact I even signed up my two daughters! Here’s what they have to say… Lucy’s daughters: I just love it!! Nicole (age 7)I love it too!! You get to learn lots of neat dance moves from other countries. I like the friendliness from all the teachers and I feel like I'm always welcome. Faith (age 8) Lucy, Nicole & Faith Gruber Aleta on ATS BellyUp has given me a chance to work with Valizan, and my dancing has hugely improved. Even taking a first-level class has given me lots of challenges and I look forward to the class every week. In fact, this is the first class in my entire life that I've forgotten to watch the clock! Thanks so much to BellyUp for providing such a fabulous teacher! Aleta Barbara’s Story Belly dancing has become one of the great joys in my life. Teaching me to accept myself the way I am realizing that I don't have to be a size 3-6 or in my 20's to be feminine,graceful and elegant has been life altering. We as mothers,daughters,wives never seem to take enough time for ourselves and Bellyup brings out the best in all of us . Joharah has a way of teaching that brings out that special women in all of us. Bellyup has become a extended family for me..and there are few other places I would rather be. Barbara Stewart Sarah’s Story I came to BellyUp as an experienced dancer though totally new to bellydance. I was looking for a new challenge and what I found was a vibrant community of dancers who love to live, laugh and dance! No matter your dance experience BellyUp allows you to learn and progress at your own pace and to do so in a beautiful setting with supportive teachers and classmates. Sarah Horne Chiara’s Story My experience at BellyUp has been very enlightening & freeing as a woman. I have experienced the beautiful art of dance with wonderful rhythms that flow through your veins and actually pump new life into them. Joharah has been an inspiration as her heart is committed to the dance & the people, her energy is a ball of white light. To all who would like to connect with their inner Goddess, BellyUp is the place to do it! Chiara LaRizza Dalia P’s Story I have been thoroughly enjoying learning to belly dance @ Belly Up since September 2008. Belly dance has stimulated all of my senses because of this elegant and expressive Arabic form of movement and communication...not to mention a really awesome abdominal and butt workout! In the classes I have the opportunity to feel feminine, expressive in new ways, enjoy the rhythms, music and lush environment, and often have a good laugh because there is room for humour and it's just so much fun! Dalia Petrulis Susan’s Story Without sounding cliché, joining BellyUp has been one of the most liberating experiences of my life. As a newbie to Halton without a lot of social connections, I realized I needed to do something to meet people. Driving by the beautiful Lakeshore Rd. studio on my way to work every day peaked my curiosity enough to make me pick up the phone, gather up a few gal pals from the office and try out belly dancing. It started off with jogging pants, loose t-shirts and glute squeezes and somewhere along my 10 week journey, became fitted yoga pants, tank tops and a mean shimmy! Not overly shy but at times reserved and self-conscious, I never thought that after almost 2 years, I would be part of a belly dance Troupe sharing this art form with the masses…and I haven’t looked back since! Being surrounded by such overwhelmingly supportive women from all walks of life has been truly inspiring. No matter your age, shape or ability, everyone in the studio can feel like a dancer. This is the one place where women are celebrated for being women – real women. I have met the most remarkable friends at BellyUp who continue to make me feel like part of the family and I am so thankful that I took a step out of my comfort zone and tried something remarkably new. Thank you Joharah for gently persuading me to join the Troupe and continually challenging me to release my inner dancer! Susan C. Glenda’s Story I have been Bellydancing since 2005, and started performing within a year of my first lesson. After two years of learning from the same teacher, I realized that there may be more to learn about the beautiful art, and started trying different studios around the GTA. When I first stepped into the Bellyup studio, I knew I had found my home in dance. The environment is right out of Arabian nights. The people that surround you, from the staff to the students, are welcoming and supportive, and understanding that women of all shapes and sizes are beautiful. Most of all the studio owner, Joharah, is focused on detail and unity in performance, and continues to assist me everytime I step into the studio in fine tuning the art of the dance. If you are looking for a place to not only learn the basics of the art, but to also up your peformance, Joharah and Bellyup is definitely the place for you. Glenda H.

No comments: