Thursday, February 19, 2009

BellyUp Students have a say!

I thought I'd share some of the heartwarming stories that have been sent to me today. I'm looking for more stories that we can share with newcomers to BellyUp so please either email me at info@bellyup.ca or leave your comments on the blog. The one common thread among all these interesting stories is the comraderie that bellydance provides. All the women write about the warm, supportive community of women they have met through their classes at BellyUp. To hear this is very rewarding to me because that's exactly what I try to teach you every week in class. Teaching movements of bellydance is one thing, but the way in which bellydance brings all of us together is quite another. I certainly cannot take full credit for what BellyUp has become because our success as a studio is down to the great energy and spirit you all bring. My vision continues be about providing a place that welcomes women of all ages, sizes and walks of life and when I read your words it's clear we've achieved this. There are so many women in this world who cannot dance or are not allowed the opportunity to dance. So next time you're in class enjoying the moves you're learning, take a moment to dance for all those women that only wish they could be in class right alongside you, laughing and smiling and sharing this gift we're so lucky to have. Jessica’s Story As a woman in her mid thirties who’s never had a dance lesson in her life I can tell you that my primary reason for joining BellyUp two years ago was more about supplementing a predictable, boring fitness regime than it was about learning the fine art of belly dance as a dance form. Well it only took me one class to throw that thought out the window! I was entranced by the décor of the studio the moment I walked in, I was hypnotized by the beautiful music I was hearing, I wanted to learn how to move my body to it as sensuously as it made me feel and, holy cow, I NEEDED TO GET MYSELF A FABULOUS COSTUME JUST LIKE YOURS (I may have one now but I still NEED more)! I’m happy to be a part of a family of belly dance “sisters” that I barely know and see only once a week but whose company I have more fun in than I do with many people I’ve known much longer. I appreciate your teaching and encouragement as I try to develop my own unique style, and your patience as I learn at a different pace than others. You’ve never made me feel like I needed to conform, or that I should be farther along in my abilities by now. Most of all I love the spiritual journey that each belly dance experience takes me on. For me personally belly dancing has become about so much more than the physical reason it was for signing up in the first place. I can’t thank you enough for introducing me to my inner goddess! Prem’s Story At 65, I am reclaiming my life as a dancer while integrating wonderful memories from my past with my present needs to exercise. I’m experiencing my sensuality, grace and artistry in an exotic environment of the beautiful BellyUpBellyDance Studio. As I dance with other women of all ages our collective energy and consciousness brings healing and joy to our everyday lives. Dalia’s Story I was raised with a love for dance. I started taking ballet at the age of 6 in New York City. I was also exposed to ethnic dance, jazz and tango. I then auditioned at a prestigious performing arts, all girls, boarding school at the age of 13 years old. I was offered a full scholarship to attended Walnut Hill School in Natick, Massachusetts. Many things happened in my life including joining the Army that kept me away from my true passion which is dance. After many life experiences and personal challenges I made a New Year’s resolution to do something for myself that would bring me joy. Of course that for me is dance. A friend at work saw an ad in the paper for Belly Up, and gave it to me. I enrolled in classes and I immediately felt whole again. I cannot put into words the connection my life and my soul has to dance and music but it is quite a spiritual connection. I feel balanced again. I feel inspired again. I feel happier and fulfilled again. And I have BellyUp to thank for reuniting me with dance. Kaitlin’s Story I started Belly Dancing with my sister a year ago. We have been involved in various forms of dancing most of our lives and we were looking for something new to try. At first we didn't know what to expect but what we found was a strong, empowering yet graceful form of dance that brought us together with women from all walks of life. Belly Up has a wonderful welcoming environment and an incredible community of amazing women that I’m happy to say have become friends as well as fellow dancers. BellyUp’s Troupe Tarab performed at my wedding last year…and now I’m an apprenticing dancer for their dance troupe. Who would of thought that a girl who’s taken Scottish dancing her entire life would now own a beautiful bellydance costume and be learning to perform on stage alongside some very beautiful dancers. Thank you BellyUp! Liz's Story Little did I know when I made my first step out of my box into the studio that it will be a life changing experience to me. I feel like I have fallen in love...with passion for the music... the dance...the costumes..the wonderful friends I meet at the studio. I wake up with it, fall asleep with it and then...I dream about it. I'm learning so much more than shimmies and steps, more than combinations and choreographies. I feel alive and happy and love the way I feel about myself as the magic touches my body, my heart and my soul. Thank you Johara for creating such a safe environment for all of us, where we can stretch and grow into all we can be on so many different levels. You are a true blessing and inspiration in my life. I dance and shimmie through life in a whole different way and love every bit of it.Thank you Johara for making all this happen.Great big hugLiz.

No comments: